Wednesday, August 26, 2015

30 Day Yoga Challenge Week 2

Sorry to get this one out a little late! I'm still on track with the yoga challenge and am officially half-way through it! 

Stuff I learned this week:
  • Repetition of last week's lesson; be patient! Babies will decide that they are unhappy doing tummy time or back time or whatever, and they are hungry and want to be held NOW. I remind myself there's no shame in hitting pause on the video so I can hold my son. Yoga will always be there, but my baby is only this little once. I need to appreciate it, even when it seems inconvenient.
  • Forward folds are a lot more fun when you don't have a gigantic belly in your way!
  • Oh, the joys of twists. Again, without a belly, it's a lot easier.
  • Yoga and running just work well together. I've started running a little bit this week with the jogging stroller. I took a long hiatus from running shortly after finding out I was pregnant. The extra relaxin in my system loosened my hips up and caused quite a bit of hip and low back pain. Yoga and lifting weights was much easier than running during pregnancy. Now that my hormones are stabilized, my tendons are stabilizing too! I have no endurance for running right now, but I'm out there doing what I can.
  • Eating matters. I'm currently in the middle of a 5 day clean eating challenge as well. It's teaching me to check my portions, which got a bit large in the last trimester, and go for the whole grains whenever possible. I tended to lean on white bread and pasta during the postpartum period. The menu also calls for lots of veggies, which is great. I embarrassingly got out of the habit of eating a lot of produce (especially vegetables) after my husband got home, and especially postpartum. I can tell that I'm a bit in withdrawal from all the white bread that I usually fill up on, but I know good nutrition is ultimately going to help me get stronger faster. 
I'd like to be able to talk about how awesome I feel and how I'm really hitting my stride and finding a routine, but I honestly can't. Every day feels like I'm just trying to figure out how to fit in the chores that I need to get done and the things that remind me that I'm more than J's mom. Hmmm....maybe next week??

No comments:

Post a Comment